My Photo
Name:
Location: memphis, tennessee, United States

53-year-old's journey of head, heart, and feet.

Monday, October 16, 2006

okay......its Monday.......and in a few hours, I'll go and see my Da......will he know me today?

like I have said, it can be a good thing if he doesn't.......wonder what he sees behind those eyes of

his.....he is on the psychiatric ward of a local hospital at the present and being kept quite

sedated......the catch is if he gains much memory back when they change his meds.....he will no

doubt balk about where he is and why he must be there.......if he doesn't regain.......then its

straight into his retirement communities Alzheimers unit.......guess its all up to the meds and

what healthy brain cells he has left........healthy brain cells........makes me wonder just how.......

many of us boomers will have them at 77.......he never did drugs, rarely drank, smoked the

occasional cigar.........and yet over the past 8 years or so he has slowly lost his memory........

i won't bore you with details or any long drawn out sad tale about him..........but i won't

promise not to mention him on this blog from time to time........i will say this.........its strange......

how we do get what we ask for at times........most of my life.....i wanted him to be different......

to show more kindness, be gentler, and compassionate, less judgemental and accepting........its

so strange that the more of his old self that he loses, his humor, his fiery passion, his

cantakerous ways .......the more he possesses these other traits.......strange.........at what

price.......and everyone pays........everyone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

Truly a wonderous thought... I am sorry I missed checking this until now... I know that those things are hard to deal with, especially the mixed feelings over the change (feels good to you in a way from what he was), but yet the sadness of what happens to us in life as we age. Sort of a cross between pity for him and enjoyment of the no-so-rotten person he may have been in the past. I think I know what you might kind of feel there...

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home